Neurol India Home 
 

Year : 2001  |  Volume : 49  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 124--7

Flowcytometric and histopathological correlation of primary intracranial neoplasms.

M Lahiri, S Sehgal, VK Kak, AK Banerjee 
 Departments of Histopathology, Immunopathology and Neurosurgery, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, 160 012, India., India

Correspondence Address:
M Lahiri
Departments of Histopathology, Immunopathology and Neurosurgery, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, 160 012, India.
India

DNA ploidy and synthetic phase fraction (SPF) of 52 cases of primary intracranial neoplasms have been determined from fresh tissues and the data was correlated with histopathological typing and grading. Fresh tumour tissues from 52 random surgical biopsies (28 malignant and 24 benign) were obtained from neurosurgical operations during the period 1994-1996. The cells were analysed in Becton Dickinson flowcytometer fitted with Consort 30 programme and «SQ»Sober«SQ» software. Percentage of diploid cells, proliferative cells and DNA aneuploidy were evaluated. The tumours were classified and graded according to WHO classification (1993). On histology, there were 28 malignant (grade II to IV) and 24 benign cases (grade I). All the histologically benign tumours in this study showed diploid DNA content with the exception of a pituitary adenoma which had a heterogeneous population of cells. The S phase fraction in all the benign cases was less than 10% except in the case of choroid plexus papilloma (S-phase 54%) and an atypical meningioma (S-phase 14%). Out of the 28 malignant tumours, 12 cases were aneuploid (43%) and the rest were diploid (57%). Among the 16 diploid tumours, SPF was more than 10% in eight cases. DNA aneuploidy and high SPF are more common in histologically malignant tumours than benign tumours. SPF is a reflection of proliferation potential of a tumour and may have some role in prognostication of brain tumours.


How to cite this article:
Lahiri M, Sehgal S, Kak V K, Banerjee A K. Flowcytometric and histopathological correlation of primary intracranial neoplasms. Neurol India 2001;49:124-7


How to cite this URL:
Lahiri M, Sehgal S, Kak V K, Banerjee A K. Flowcytometric and histopathological correlation of primary intracranial neoplasms. Neurol India [serial online] 2001 [cited 2021 Oct 16 ];49:124-7
Available from: https://www.neurologyindia.com/article.asp?issn=0028-3886;year=2001;volume=49;issue=2;spage=124;epage=7;aulast=Lahiri;type=0