Leveron&Nexovas
Neurology India
menu-bar5 Open access journal indexed with Index Medicus
  Users online: 2117  
 Home | Login 
About Editorial board Articlesmenu-bullet NSI Publicationsmenu-bullet Search Instructions Online Submission Subscribe Videos Etcetera Contact
  Navigate Here 
 »   Next article
 »   Previous article
 »   Table of Contents

 Resource Links
 »   Similar in PUBMED
 »  Search Pubmed for
 »  Search in Google Scholar for
 »Related articles
 »   Citation Manager
 »   Access Statistics
 »   Reader Comments
 »   Email Alert *
 »   Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed9185    
    Printed292    
    Emailed6    
    PDF Downloaded0    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 16    

Recommend this journal

 

 
Year : 1999  |  Volume : 47  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 18--21

Clinical profile of multiple sclerosis in Bengal.


Department of Neuromedicine, Bangur Institute of Neurology and Institue of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Calcutta, Bengal, India., India

Correspondence Address:
G Gangopadhyay
Department of Neuromedicine, Bangur Institute of Neurology and Institue of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Calcutta, Bengal, India.
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


PMID: 10339703

Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

Forty five patients of multiple sclerosis diagnosed on the basis of Poser's criteria from West Bengal were studied. The male-female ratio was 1:1.5, mean age of onset 31.83 years in male and 29.11 years in females. The maximum cases were between the 3rd and 4th decade.Definite MS comprised of 60%, while remaining 40% were probable.Visual impairment (53.33%), weakness of limbs (31.11%) and sensory paraesthesia (20%) were the common presenting symptoms whereas pyramidal tract involvement (93.33%) with absent abdominal reflexes (90%) and optic pallor (64.44%) were common signs. Posterior column and spinothalamic sensations were involved in 55% and 51% of cases respectively. Inter-nuclear ophthalmoplegia was present in 6.66% of cases. Pattern of involvement commonly showed three or more sites of lesion. Optico-spinal affection was present in 22.2% of cases. Relapsing and remitting course was found in 48. 91%, relapsing and progressive course in 33.33% and chronic progressive in 17.8%. MRI of brain showed positive results in 16 out of 23 cases. CSF study showed increased positivity in estimation of immunoglobulin level than oligoclonal band. Findings revalidate the disease pattern as being similar to that in other parts of India as well as Asia.






[FULL TEXT] [PDF Not available]*


        
Print this article     Email this article

Online since 20th March '04
Published by Wolters Kluwer - Medknow